I hate doing plumbing. When I tackle a plumbing problem in my home, it is never accomplished in a comfortable way. It always seems to involve me lying on my back with water dripping in my face and tight confines with which to loosen or tighten nuts or bolts. That is why most of the time I’ll call the man when it comes to plumbing work.
Not so with my jointer – my wife suggested that I put in a service call on it and let someone else fix it. It has been giving me fits this week and when it comes to power tools, especially stationary tools, I’ll work on them. In a nutshell, my jointer cuts a taper on boards. I have never had this problem in all of my 25+ years of woodworking. My owner’s manual does not even mention this kind of problem. However, I did find information about this weirdness online here. Work on my built-in project has come to a stop until I correct this situation.
After looking at my in-feed table, I decide that the back of it is too low, which means if I lower the front of the in-feed table, it should become parallel with the out-feed table. To gain access to the leveling bolts under the jointer, I have to first remove the dust collection contraption I made for it. I lay the jointer on its side and spin the feet out of the way, then remove the dust port, so the dust shoot will clear the legs and stretchers of the jointer.
Then the plumbing comparison can be made. I stand the jointer back up and then use a combination of a ½ inch wrench and a ¾ inch wrench to loosen the bolts that adjust the height of the in-feed table. I have to contort my body into various positions before settling in on the one shown above. To properly adjust the jointer, I have to see the in-feed table move as I turn the bolts, which simply can’t be done, so I call my wife for assistance. She watches the in-feed table as I lay on my back and reach up to adjust the bolts. I am positioned just like a plumber would be working on pipes under the kitchen sink. When we determine the necessary adjustments are made, I tighten the bolts down and give her a test. The taper still exists.
The only other thing to do is to make sure the knives are set at the same height as the out-feed table. I re-set the knives and give it a test and the cut is pretty good. So, I am keeping my fingers crossed that I am back in business. I worked on this before church and for the better part of the afternoon. I will get back to working on the built-in a little at a time this week with hopes of making some decent progress.
By the way, I did not put my dust shoot back on because I want to make sure the jointer is fixed. Also, it was nice having a hose that I can sweep sawdust from my shop floor into. Plus, there just isn’t that much dust generated by the jointer. I may put it back on – we’ll see.
My wife told me a couple of times how impressed she was that I fixed this. I was just impressed I fixed it without letting any cuss word fly.