When I started designing the Scott Bookcase, I went through four different designs. The design shown above was my imagination run amok. I say that because this design would have taken me a long, long time to complete.
This idea had been just a drawing on graph paper until this week; a drawing that I did not want to throw away, but it kept reappearing: in my office, in our guest bedroom where our home computer resides, among other places. It’s almost as if this drawing was telling me to do something with it. So, I started messing around with it in SketchUp…
As I drew this bookcase on graph paper, I had visions of this great project being a big portfolio builder and thought of the compliments I would gain from it. But also, I began thinking of all the parts, especially the many molding pieces that would have been necessary for this project and my excitement started to fade. Plus, this project would have taken me the better part of a year to complete and I would not have made any money on it. Here are some close-ups…
I worked on this on and off for several days during the week. I tried a lot of new tricks in SketchUp for this illustration, so this was a good exercise. It was also good to see what this design would look like in 3D.
The TV Console Project
I had planned a TV console update this weekend, but there is not a lot to report. I am currently smoothing out one of the glue-ups that will become the sides. Three boards glued together – the middle one warped upward forming a hump that I am removing. I worked like crazy on it today, generating so much saw dust and shavings that I once again got the electric blower out, raised the garage doors and blew all of it outside.
I used my new cabinet scraper, an old block plane as well as a bench plane that I had lost, but found it. I am such a novice with hand planes – I may take a course on hand tools or something like that. There is still some work to do on this panel and then it is on to gluing up the sides and the base. But that will be for a post next week.