I had a short lived melt down last night. The case glue-up of the TV console project encompasses seven components. Norm Abram would have glued all of these parts together at one time, but I have learned to baby-step a glue-up like this. At the next to the last step, things got a little frustrating…
As I positioned the slightly warped sub-top in place, it didn’t line up with the side (illustration above). While tugging on this board, hoping the warped edge would properly engage the dado, the glue started to set up – making it even harder to correctly position it. It was at this point that I started to loose it. The glue in the dado was setting up and glue in the divider dado was starting to run down the side of the divider.
I use Elmer’s Carpenter’s Wood Glue. This is the glue my Dad has used and it has been my glue of choice for almost 30 years (even though there are many other high tech adhesives for woodworking). This glue begins to set up almost immediately, allowing very little time to make fine adjustments. At times, I have been impressed with it’s bonding power. But, it may be time for me to consider glue that has a longer open time. If you have strong feelings about the glue you use, leave me a comment and tell me why you like it.
I was able to get one of my beefy pipe clamps out and pull the sub-top into alignment and everything is OK. But, this glue-up was unnecessarily stressful.
Note to self:
Hopefully this will be yet another learning experience for me. I am going to make a mental note that for my next glue-up, do the following:
- Consider a new glue – one that has a longer open time.
- With dado joints, spread glue in the dado with an artist’s paint brush. I normally do this, but this time I simply ran a bead down the center of this thin dado; but the glue would not have run as much if I had spread it onto the walls of the dado.
- Say a prayer when attempting a glue-up like this so that maybe with the Lord’s help, I can remain calm.
This evening, I plan to work on the face frame and have it attached by Saturday morning. Then it is on to the base including the bracket feet.