When I look at blogs like Daily Blog Tips or ProBlogger, they often comment how important good content is. With this in mind, I have been waiting to add a new blog post with some significant update to this project. While I had hoped to get to the bracket feet, time ran out and they have not yet materialized, but a lot has been going on over the past week.
I am still laying the ground work for the elements of this project that make it look like something. When I get the bracket feet and the base molding attached to the case, the TV Console will really start to take shape. Before I can get to that point, I have to build and attach the face frame as well as the base frame.
The face frame comes first since it gives me the final outside dimension of the case. To this, I can then add the planned size of the base molding to give me the target dimension of the base frame.
I recently saw an internet discussion about joinery techniques like pocket screws, dominos and biscuits. The question was are these techniques OK for fine woodworking? Guess what my answer was? I use both pocket screws and biscuits with these frames. Here, I feel that pocket screws and glue are just fine for what I call non-structural joinery. I once saw pocket screws used to join bracket feet together which I think is very much inappropriate due to the weight placed on the base of a project.
This step is a little stressful because I take great care to fabricate the face frame a little over size so that I can position the lower rail flush with the bottom shelf. Everything goes well.
Moving on to the base frame, I cut the necessary parts, join the sides to the back and with the front dry fitted, I cut a slot for the dust panel.
Next, I will fabricate the actual feet. For this, I plan to resurrect my Dad’s old Craftsman bench top drill press. Should be interesting.I love how mahogany sands – it is very agreeable with sandpaper. I also am very pleased with the color – love it.