Beth's built-in
Comments 3

Beth’s built-in: demolition completed

The spark for this project. A plumbing project required a hole in this wall.

I can’t believe this project began in the Spring of 2010. We had the diverter valve on our daughter’s bathroom shower replaced. The repair meant a hole had to be cut in the wall adjacent to the shower. Our daughter’s bathroom has very limited storage space and my wife and I had wondered what was behind this wall. Could there be any space there for some sort of storage? This plumbing project provided the answer.

Not much is behind this wall. The cavity serves as a mechanical area of sorts. On the far end of the space is the vent stack for the first floor furnace and that is it – plenty of space to add a built-in cabinet.

I had to put this project on hold in order to build the TV Console for my Dad. Since that project is completed, I can get back to the built-in. Construction had been completed and some polyurethane had been laid down when I put it on stand by. This week, I have been been back to work on the built-in applying more poly to it: I have applied at least one brush on coat to all of it and a few parts have two coats of brush on as well as the final coat of wipe-on satin.

Yesterday, I started the wall demolition; something I had been dreading for a while. I hate it when our house is torn up in some way. I can work for days in a sawdust covered workshop, but I hate it when sheetrock dust invades our home. Take a look…

Easy cutting. Using a multi-purpose saw, I cut along a carefully drawn line.

The hard part. Note the line on the 2×4. I have to cut this away to provide clearance for the built-in. I used my heavy duty DeWalt reciprocating saw for this task.

In need of support. Today, I will begin framing out this opening providing support and a place to attach the casing of the built-in. I will also build a little platform for the built-in to rest on as well as patching some of the sheetrock.

Adding finish. I often look upon polyurethane as being a beginner’s finish, but with all the moisture and humidity of a hot shower on a cold morning, this cabinet needs a tough, water resistant finish. And it looks pretty good too. Here I am in the process of sanding between coats.

I hope to have the built-in mounted in the wall by this coming weekend. This means completing the polyurethane and installing the framing along with a little sheetrock work. I see a busy week in front of me.

I am wondering about one thing. I am undecided about how I am going to attach the built-in’s casing to the wall. I plan to drive nails through the casing and sheetrock, then into the framing. I picked out some nice oak boards for the casing and I hate the idea of having to fill the nail heads with putty. I guess I could just use as few nails as possible, but if you have a better idea for this, let me know.

To see all the posts on this project, click here.


Have a question or comment? Leave yours by clicking on the “Comments – post yours here” link below. Or jump over to Facebook and leave me a message. My email is And if you like this post or this project, you can subscribe to Wood Fever by clicking here.

My top three projects:

This entry was posted in: Beth's built-in


During the week, I sell flooring products for The Dixie Group. Weekends, you'll find me in my basement workshop making furniture.


  1. Looking good, Jeff. That's a great solution for the unused space in the cavity. As for attaching it, have you considered nailing or screwing the cabinet to the framing from the inside? Depending onthe framing details, a few nails driven through the sides and into the studs should hold it well, and the filled holes wouldn't be as bothersome on the inside of the cabinet.

  2. Aaron – using nails or screws from the inside is possible along the top, but along the sides and bottom would be very difficult, but possible. I'll explore that idea and thanks for the comment

  3. Jeff,
    the built in looks great. Sorry to hear you had to do so much of your dreaded sheetrock work with the project, but It'll pay off in the end with this useful project.

Leave a Reply to Dyami Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s