There isn’t much to report on the ceiling project, or at least not much to report that is exciting in any way. I spent the first part of the week recovering from moderate back problems related to scraping the ceiling last weekend. I got back to work on the ceiling Wednesday and decided to break the remaining popcorn removal into smaller sections tackling one section before work and the next after work. By Friday morning I had all the scraping and most of the sanding and clean-up accomplished.
Let me say this about the mess that was created: I have never tackled a project in my home that made a bigger mess than removing this popcorn textured ceiling. And I have tackled some significant in-door projects (see some of them here and here). As my wife and I watched TV in our family room last night, I said, “Can you believe what it would be like to take down the popcorn in here?” She says, “I can’t wait.” I replied, “But we live in this room – the mess would be a major problem.” I don’t see that happening any time soon.
Work this weekend
I had to do some touch up sanding on the ceiling yesterday and then I applied a primer coat of paint. I had intended to put a finish coat of paint on today, but I decided to postpone the paint to the end of the project. I still have a few minor blemishes I need to fix, so no need to paint the ceiling right now.
With painting completed for the time being, I was able to move into final planning for the project. I have been thinking of reducing the crown molding height from five inches to four. At four inches, the crown will still be taller than the typical crown from the home center, and the new height will be easier for me to find router bit profiles that work.
I also visited Lowes today to finalize the material I will use. I have been thinking about poplar; a good paint grade lumber and what I will definitely use for the molding, but I am considering birch plywood for the beams. The only problem is an eight foot long sheet of plywood won’t span my 11’6” x 9’10” room. I would have to piece plywood together to cover both the length and width of the room – a real issue. So, I did not finalize the material – give me your thoughts if you have a solution to this. I know I can get 12 foot material, but that can get a little expensive.
Thanks for listening to me think out loud for this post. I should get down to some actual woodworking this week.