After a slight set back, I have made big progress on the headboard. With my first panels relegated to the scrap pile and the replacement panels formed and sanded, I am back to work on the panel system for the headboard (see an exploded drawing by clicking here). I had already cut the needed slot in all of the cross members as well as the stiles, but I had not cut any tenons, so that is where I start this post; it is a long one, so pack a lunch…
Soon after my wife and I married, I began work on our first entertainment center. It was my first time making panel doors. I learned a lesson with that project. Stain the panels first so that when they expand and contract during the year, your don’t have to look at un-stained areas in the panels. I did not do this and as wood moves in panel doors, slight stripes of unfinished wood appear where stain did not penetrate the panel.
To keep this from happening on the Tornado Bed, I need to pre-stain certain parts of the headboard. The headboard is sort of like two panels in one. In addition to the panels I have been talking about, the left and right stiles slip into the posts, like panels do. I don’t want any color issues should these parts contract during the year. So I took the time to stain them along with the inner edges of the rails and stiles…
Last week I put up a post about Charles Neil’s Pre-Stain Conditioner giving it a glowing review. I still like this conditioner, but it isn’t quite so easy to use as I originally thought. I updated my review with some additional thoughts (see it here), but overall it is still an excellent product.
In the photo above the headboard is dry fitted and the stained components don’t have any polyurethane on them. I am considering pre-staining and adding poly to more of the headboard parts, maybe even all of them. I would like to hear comments from others who have done this, or who considered this kind of thing and chose against it.
My thinking is this piece is so large, and I am still learning how to apply the conditioner, it may be better to tackle parts individually. So, depending how I go with this, I may have the headboard glued up by next weekend or I may not.
This project is being built in response to the historic tornado outbreak that occurred in Alabama on April 27th. On that day, 63 tornadoes struck our state which claimed the lives of 247 people and caused between $2.45 billion and $4.2 billion in property damage (click the image at the right). The Tornado Bed will be given free of charge to a needy victim of the April 27th tornado event.