One design change I made after drawing the SkecthUp illustration of the Tornado Bed was to add a little base to the finial. If this base did not exist, then the finial would sit on top of visible end grain, which I decided wouldn’t be proper.
Making the bases was pretty straight forward: four pieces of wood cut into small triangles. Sort of a challenge to make them all square (some of them are slightly out of square, but they’re close enough). See below…
I once visited Tommy MacDonald’s website. I was viewing a video about the construction of his very impressive bombe secretary. Tommy was cutting a delicate piece of molding and he commented that it took something like 15 attempts before he got one that fit just right. I remembered that when it came time to form the finials for my bed project.
I move my fence to the left side of the blade and repeatedly cut away 2 3/4″ blocks which will become the finials.
Here is where the Tommy Mac video influence comes into play. I cut seven finials and begin to decide which four I’ll actually use. Already the one in back has been excluded due to some tear-out along one of the edges.
The finials and the bases will be permanently attached with glue after I stain everything.
At this point construction of the Tornado Bed is about 97% completed. I am toying with the idea of adding dowel pins to the mortise and tenon joints located in the headboard and footboard, and technically, I need to cut slats for the box spring to rest on. But the major work from this point forward will be final sanding and applying the finish: pre-stain conditioner, stain and polyurethane – no small task. The end is in sight!
On that day, 63 tornadoes struck our state which claimed the lives of 247 people and caused between $2.45 billion and $4.2 billion in property damage (click the image at the right).
The Tornado Bed will be given free of charge to a needy victim of the April 27th tornado event.