201 Tips for Woodworkers, Christian Becksvoort, Process Improvement, Tall Saw Horses
Comments 6

My next project

Next up, Christian Becksvoort tall saw horses.

This is one of those interesting times. I am finished with my front porch renovation, so I have to decide what my next project will be. Under consideration:

  • New end tables for our family room
  • New saw horses
  • New miter saw station
  • A mobile base for my band saw
  • A storage cabinet
  • An elaborate built-in tool cabinet and wall surround

Since I just completed a big outdoor project, what I like is this list is nothing but indoor projects.

After mulling it over, the saw horses won out. These new saw horses will continue an effort I started back in 2010. The plan was to add a series of Christian Becksvoort designed saw horses feataured in FWW’s 201 Tips for Woodworkers. In the article, Becksvoort discussed his preference for three different size saw horses: one set which is basically a pair of one foot tall step stools. Another set which are two feet in height which I built in 2010 (see the blog post about the two foot versions by clicking here). The last set of saw horses are unusual: three feet tall and adjustable.

Note the mortises which will need to be cut.

The adjustable support highlighted in blue has multiple holes.

Getting started
The first thing I have to do to get started is to clean up my shop. I tend to let it get pretty messy as a project comes to a close. All my effort goes to getting a project completed and not keeping my shop clean and clear of clutter.

My messy shop.

Two drills, two sanders; even a cooler on my out feed table add to the mess.

Much better; this is about as good as it gets.

In the the last photo above, you can see just about all of my major shop tools with the exception of my Jet 14″ band saw which is out of view; it resides across from the double windows in the back of the photo.

Earlier I purchased a little lumber to get started on the saw horses and in the photo below, I have some of the components rough cut and most notably, you can see some of the mortises already completed.

Initial parts for the new saw horses.

From this point forward, I will work hand tools into my projects as much as possible. The mortises I have cut were completed by drilling out as much of the waste as possible which was followed up with chisel work to clean up the mortise.

So another project underway and one which will offer a few challenges, but should be a quick one to complete. This week, I’ll continue forming the components with some assembly coming next weekend.

See the next post in this series here.

Advertisements

6 Comments

  1. Good choice for the project. Think of it this way. You NEED the horses to build the other items on your list. šŸ™‚ I’m sure they’ll be great as always Jeff.

    • Jason, you are right as usual. I needed them in a big way during my front porch project. I thought about building some temporary ones, but settled on using my two foot horses. I am sure the new saw horses will get a lot of use.

  2. David Scott says

    Jeff – I like the look of the saw horses and I appreciate the shot of your shop. Good to know I am not the only one who has a problem with keeping the mess in the shop contained.

  3. ashleyaeelizabeth says

    Thank you so much for keeping this blog up to date and sharing on your adventure. I’m an amateur woodworker myself, and it’s hard to find good links that show how it’s done with pictures and not just anamations.

  4. Pingback: Becksvoort sawhorses and Alabama football « Jeff Branch Woodworks

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s