I consider one of the special treats in life to be Sunday mornings in my workshop. Why is this any different from any other day? About mid-morning we have to get ready for church so there is not enough time early to do anything of significance (specifically items on my wife’s to do list). It is perfect woodworking time.
I love the peace and quiet, the occasional sip of coffee and music from my iPad which has become an important part of my workshop. I have never been comfortable with a laptop in my shop (all that dust and stuff), but the iPad has proven to be less worrisome and a great multi-function entertainment and communication tool.
I have been off work since Wednesday. We have spent time celebrating the July 4th holiday and have moved more of my daughter’s furniture from her apartment near the University of Alabama to our basement. Our basement, home for my workshop, is a mess. We have been working to get it organized; making room for all of my daughter’s possessions has been a challenge. But it has been fun since it means she is home again.
Mixed in with all of this has been some woodworking. Saturday evening and this morning I made an effort to get the miter saw stand side tables completed and attached to the stand. Earlier in the week, I built the basic frames which support the side tables. Below is an exploded view of the frame and the progress planned for this blog post…
This is pretty simple construction. Just as I mentioned in my last post, this is as basic as it gets: drywall screws without glue. The table structure is composed of sides and ends along with a doubled up cross member.
This week has seen me scratching my head a little because one key bit of instruction from the FWW article which serves as my woodworking plan is missing. See the image below.
Positioning the side table top is where the guess-work comes in. The photos and illustrations in the plan show the top overhangs each end, but there are no measurements given. Especially important – the frame is offset with the top (see the red arrow below), but the correct position is guess-work.
After studying the illustration, I decided the offset at the back is the same as the thickness of the plywood; 3/4″ and so that became the locating dimension.
There are certain steps in a project which I get nervous about. These are the high chance for error steps. In this stage of the project, adding the hinges and actually attaching the folding side tables makes me nervous.
While this is a very utilitarian piece of shop furniture, I was pretty excited to get the side tables attached and see them in their upright position. It is such a monstrous improvement over my previous setup that I had to smile a little.
At one point, I realized I had never measured the width with the tables folded to make sure it fit well where I wanted it to reside. This caused me some concern, but really, it fits just about perfect. Plus, the height of the side tables is really good – I’ll have to place shims under my saw to make it flush, but that will come at the end of the project.
There is still a lot to do. Coming up next: create the two fences which attach to the side tables. These fences are expandable which will give me an even larger area of support for long boards. I was going to use the Kreg Precision Trak and Stop System, but currently it sells for $139.00 which is a surprise. Maybe I should look into a shop made solution for a tape measure and stop system. Something to look into.
Move to the next post in this series by clicking here.