Bookcases, Woodworking Plans
Comments 21

Woodworking Plan: Making a Massive Bookcase Step-by-Step

I once received an email asking for plans of a project I completed about six years ago which I call “The Massive Bookcase.” The thing is, I had never made plans for that bookcase.

Since I was wrapping up work on a plan for the Tornado Bed, I decided Making a Massive Bookcase Step-by-Step would be the next one to tackle.

Massive
This bookcase was designed to fit a specific space in the home office of a local college professor. It stands eight feet tall, five feet wide and is slender at one foot deep. It is a big bookcase – not the most complex project I have tackled, but it is the largest.

One of the few photos of this big project - here about 85% completed.

One of the few photos of this big project – here about 85% completed.

I used several basic construction techniques which I have come to use on many of my other projects, but the fact that this is basically a knock-down bookcase means a few unique steps in the process. I built it in separate sections so it could be easily moved through the narrow hallway of my client’s home. You can easily adjust the dimensions so the bookcase can fit your needs, and you don’t have to make yours in knock-down form like I did.

The images below provide a glimpse of what you will find inside Making a Massive Bookcase Step-by-Step:

New Page 1

New Page 2

New Page 6

New Page 9

Features:

• 10 Pages of instruction
  • 22 Color illustrations
  • A full cut list

Click the link below to begin your instant download. This breaks all the rules concerning online marketing, but I do not collect your email address and I have no way of knowing who is downloading this woodworking plan. This means no emails or spam will follow your download. The only thing I do ask is that you consider following my blog. To follow, click the follow box in the right sidebar.

FREE – click to download Making a Massive Bookcase

I have triple checked the plan for accuracy. Be sure to fully understand the construction process prior to building your bookcase. If you have any questions about the construction process, send me a message by using the form on my About/Contact page.

Advertisements

21 Comments

1. That is massive, I wouldn’t even be able to fit that in my house. My ceilings are a hair under 8ft. I would love to have the space for something like that though.

• My ceiling is the same as yours and then there are the shop lights hanging from it. I had to stand it up in the driveway to put it all together!

2. Be careful when building tall cases and where you assemble them. I almost made the mistake of assembling something that could not be tipped up in the room where it was going. Assembled it in place.

• Yes, that wouldn’t be good. This bookcase was designed to knock down into smaller sections for that very reason. Thanks for the comment.

3. Bill says

I love SketchUp!
    I also think it’s cool, you work with wood and you name is Branch .
    Nice project. Well done, Mr. Branch.
    Have you ever searched into your family tree ?

4. Willem Franken says

Thank you for sharing this, Jeff! I love doing carpentry, and also love working with sketchup!
    Here where I live and work (Northern Rwanda _ East Africa) I also work at a new Polytechnic College, and one of the “jobs” is helping set up a new Library. This Massive Bookcase may be quite ideal
    thanks again,
    Wim F

5. Roselyne BRUN says

Merci,
    French women, no speak english very well
    C’est très joli ce que vous faites
    Roselyne

6. RAIMUNDO WILSON FERREIRA CANTO says

ENCONTREI APÓS O COMENTÁRIO AONDE TRADUZIR A DESCRIÇÃO DOS SEUS PROJETOS, QUE SÃO MUITO BEM EXECULTADOS, EU RESIDO AQUI NO AMAZONAS, TEMOS MUITA MADEIRA, E MUITOS MOVEIS SÃO CONFECCIONADOS AQUI, MAIS SUA PAGINA É MUITO INTERESSANTE, QUE O SENHOR DEUS TE ABENÇOE GRANDEMENTE E A SUA FAMÍLIA TAMBÉM, AMÉM!

7. truday says

Does one have to buy Sketchup to use it to design cabinets? It seems very expensive.. Like your work..

8. rubiel cabrera says

mi nombre es rubiel quisiera aprender el programa es que me interesa estoy estudiando obras civiles y quiero saber mas de este programa cualquier información favor enviarme una respuesta gracias

9. el aaloui says

merci pour l’effort que vous déployer pour mettre à notre disposition tout de savoir
    cordialement+el aaloui

10. Leonard says

Can you list the tools you used for this project? Is there somewhere i can go let them cut all the grooves, holes for me?

• Leonard says

Sorry i forgot to say, Good Job on the case. Please can you help me list the tools you used?

• I used a number of tools: table saw, router, pipe clamps, drill, a miter saw would be handy. The only source for cutting would be a cabinet shop or weekend woodworker in your area.