I have made some big progress in the last few days on the bookcase project. While I had the parts for the face frame cut last weekend, I did not start to assemble them until Wednesday. By Friday, I had the face frame assembled, attached and trimmed. Then it was on to some sanding and applying the moldings to the simulated side panels.
Most recently, I was able to fabricate and apply the waist molding and size the three shelves of the upper bookcase…
The waist molding is made from both a custom milled piece and stock stop molding. Here I am routing a cove on a three inch wide piece of poplar. My new workbench is perfect for this.
The custom milled piece of poplar had warped since I brought it home. So, here I have attached it with screws that will be hidden. I use three from the front and two from the back of the face frame to pull it straight.
Here is a shot of the two piece waist molding. The profile of the two pieces looks pretty good. I’ll remember this for future projects.
The next step is to cut and apply the crown molding. I also have to cut a piece to finish off the top. Then do some final sanding and touching up. Paint will follow that and the project will be complete.