I am re-running a blog series from 2010 – the construction of a large bookcase for a co-worker. In this entry, originally published March 27, 2010, I am adding crown molding to the upper section of the bookcase.
I agonize over certain steps of my projects. Most of the Scott bookcase is pretty straight forward woodworking; cutting dados, routing a few profiles for molding, yadda, yadda, yadda. But, when it comes to crown molding, I get a little stressed.
It is not unusual for me to get big-time stressed during the actual attaching of the crown. I mean, the crown molding has to be cut exactly for it to fit properly.
Adding to the complexity of crown molding is a wonderful (I am kidding) new idea of attaching it to the bookcase. See the illustration above and note how the edge of the top fits the angle of the crown molding. I thought this would be a good way to attach the crown and finish off the top.
The problem is that just like the crown molding, this piece of wood has to fit perfectly. Three sides of this board have to be cut at a 38 degree angle. I can cut this along the length of the board on my table saw which is very accurate, but the 38 degree cuts to the ends have to be made with my circular saw, a tool I see as having less accuracy. To cut the ends on my table saw would mean having to make a new jig, which I did not want to commit the time to.
The photo above shows the cut on the left side of the top. The other side is where my measurements have to be exact. This second cut is very stressful. I re-check the measurement several times and then make the cut. Everything goes well. Then I cut the bevel for the front edge on my table saw. So, the necessary cuts are made for the top and I attached it with eleven screws. I can then move on to cutting and attaching the crown.
Hopefully, if I work hard during the next week, I can have this project completed in the next few days – but there is a lot of surface on this bookcase to be painted. We’ll see.