SketchUp, Woodworking Plans in Progress
Comment 1

Another Update on my Woodworking Plan

I have made some really good progress on the window seat bookcase, but I am not yet to a point where I have a blog post ready. I have the slats for the bottom shelves cut to final thickness and width. This meant re-sawing and feeding the subsequent slats through my planer. The planer is a terribly loud machine which makes a ton of dust if it is not connected to a dust collector (mine isn’t). But it is a handy tool to have. Also, I bought a nifty measuring tool which I played around with yesterday causing a little delay in my work. I’ll have more on all of this soon.

At the same time, I am also making progress on my next woodworking plan titled You Can Make an Apartment Dining Table.

Since my last update on the new woodworking plan, I have a few more pages completed and at least minor changes to every page; some significant changes (click to enlarge)…

Page 6 used to look like this.

Page 6 used to look like this.

Page 6 now looks like this.

Page 6 now looks like this.

I did not like all the empty space on page six, so I took part of the image on page seven and moved it to page six. Also, note the change in border at the top and bottom of the page; I did not like the dashed line.

Page 7 used to look like this.

Page 7 used to look like this.

Page 7 now looks like this.

Page 7 now looks like this.

My daughter who is pretty experienced with Photoshop helped me with the gradient which was applied to the top and right edges of the image (see some of her delicious photography here). This fade to white look is nice.

Then, new pages look like this…

Page 8 - the image in the upper left is a first for me.

Page 8 – the image in the upper left is a first for me.

Page 9 - big color on this page. Using a workbench model as a prop.

Page 9 – big color on this page. Using a workbench model as a prop.

Page 10 - using saw horses as props.

Page 10 – using saw horses as props.

To get the image on page ten, I went through a variety of different looks before settling on what you see above. Here is the sequence of images I developed on the way to the final one…

I used Photoshop to blur the workbench in hopes of adding depth.

I used Photoshop to blur the workbench in hopes of adding depth. I was pretty pleased with how this looked.

With the base clamped up and again using a blur technique on the workbench.

With the base clamped up and again using a blur technique on the workbench. Also, two of the clamps should not be there.

These two images were originally planned to be on the same page in a step one, step two process. In the end, I felt this was too complex and one image would be better. I did use Photoshop to blur the workbench which I thought was a novel idea, but ultimately the blurred image wasn’t used. This lead to the images below…

A nice image; no blur, but the workbench serves no purpose in this image. Also, there are too many clamps.

A nice image; no blur, but the workbench serves no purpose in this image. Still too many clamps.

The correct number of clamps and no workbench.

The correct number of clamps and no workbench.

The image I used: here key components are highlighted in blue.

The image I used: here key components are highlighted in blue.

It took me five different images before I got one that worked best. I bring this up only to say that making a woodworking plan is a lot of work; at least it is for me, and this is just what I went through to develop page 10. Yikes!

Next up: documenting the construction of the table top which has pegged breadboard ends. I suspect another three pages will be all it will take to complete the plan. Stay tuned.

Advertisements

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s