A woodworking miracle has happened! I completed the construction of this table project in just two weeks.
This washer/dryer table has been a project which helped me prove a point: I can make something quickly. I suspect that by the time my daughter’s window seat bookcase is finished, the better part of a year will have passed. And I am catching a slight amount of grief over this, so I wanted to really crank out this table quickly. Mission accomplished; but this project has been a lot of work. Especially over the last five days, almost every second of free time was spent in my workshop; and emergency runs to the home center for supplies and there was a football game to watch.
Here is a play-by-play recap of the week in my workshop…
CREATING THE TABLE TOP
In my last post on this project, I had completed the sides and work had begun on the top. The sides went together with super easy glue and pocket screws, and the molding clad panel for the sides was added with glue and brads. Nothing complicated here.
The top is only slightly complex, but still basic construction techniques were employed. I am using a hollow core door for the table top. Note in the illustration at the top of the post that the top has to span almost 60″ without any support. I eliminated birch plywood because I felt the need to use two layers of plywood to get the stiffness I wanted. This meant I would use the better part of a whole sheet of plywood, which is too heavy for the minimal structure of this table. The hollow core door is basically a light weight, wide box beam. And the structure within the door is minimal.
I cut the door down to size using my table saw and circular saw. I then cut strips to wood to fill in between the door faces.
Note in the photo above the addition of pine boards along the lower edge of the table top. This adds structure to the table top and gives me something to screw into when attaching the sides.
I was originally going to add a layer of counter top laminate to achieve a very durable work surface. But after shopping at two different home center stores, the $50.00 cost of laminate was a budget buster, especially when I would have a lot of it left over. So, I decided to simply paint the table top. I am good friends with the owner of my local Benjamin Moore paint dealer. After considering my options, I selected an exterior grade latex paint – pure white.
I then added strips of oak to the table edges to cover the layers of wood which make up the table top. The oak also will be a durable material for the table edges.
With the oak added and a little upright piece at the back, it was the opinion of my paint dealer that I could cover the whole surface with a couple of coats of water based polyurethane. And the result looks good.
JOINING THE TOP TO THE SIDES
The only remaining task was to paint the sides white and add the L-brackets which attach the sides to the top. I wanted to create a recess in the sides and top for the brackets and screws to fit into. I used my router and a template to accomplish this.
In the photo above, you can easily see the pine structure I added to the hollow core door. Again, the pine boards give me something to screw the L-brackets into.
The washer/dryer table assembled and set up in my daughter’s apartment…
Over the last five days, I worked hard on this project, especially yesterday and today (I did take time off to see Alabama win the SEC Championship game last night 🙂 ). The paint and polyurethane were just dry enough to handle and THE TABLE FIT! I was so worried that it wouldn’t. The washer and dryer hook-ups on the adjacent wall meant that the washer and dryer needed to sit deep into this corner of the kitchen with very little wiggle room.
This was a fun project and while parts of it were simple, there was a significant amount of engineering which went into it. I’ll have a follow-up post with some thoughts on the design and steps taken to ensure the fit was right. For now, I am going to take a few days off and get some Christmas shopping done.