All posts filed under: Beth’s built-in

Beth’s built-in: the end is in sight

I’ll tell you what, I have been doing some real man’s work this week. I’m talking about framing out the opening in my daughter’s bathroom wall and doing sheetrock work: mudding and sanding. I felt as if I could really bond with those guys that use the contractor’s entrance at my local Home Depot. Last week, I had completed the demolition needed to start the install of the built-in project. Here is what happened this week… I had to do something with the flimsy, unsupported sheetrock. I added one 2×4 to one side (additions highlighted in blue above), as well as one at the top and bottom of the opening. I did this on Monday evening and it went very well. I did not toe nail the cross pieces – rather, I used scrap plywood to join these boards to the rest of the framing. The stand for the cabinet was constructed using 2x4s which is a whole lot of wood for this thing. Let’s just say I don’t have to worry about it falling …

Beth’s built-in: demolition completed

The spark for this project. A plumbing project required a hole in this wall. I can’t believe this project began in the Spring of 2010. We had the diverter valve on our daughter’s bathroom shower replaced. The repair meant a hole had to be cut in the wall adjacent to the shower. Our daughter’s bathroom has very limited storage space and my wife and I had wondered what was behind this wall. Could there be any space there for some sort of storage? This plumbing project provided the answer. Not much is behind this wall. The cavity serves as a mechanical area of sorts. On the far end of the space is the vent stack for the first floor furnace and that is it – plenty of space to add a built-in cabinet. I had to put this project on hold in order to build the TV Console for my Dad. Since that project is completed, I can get back to the built-in. Construction had been completed and some polyurethane had been laid down when …

Beth’s built-in: stain completed

Curious spots. After drying for almost a week, I sanded the stain off all the drawer fronts. Then, stain began wicking up through the pores in the oak – very much unexpected (click the photo to enlarge). I am at the point in this project where progress isn’t that noticeable. And, my work week was very hectic – some early morning travelling which eliminated before work shop time. And the same was true in the evenings for much of the week. I put up a message on Twitter (I refuse to call them “tweets”) about how my day job was really interfering with my woodworking. Oh well, I have to keep in mind that my day job is what enables us to pay the bills… I spent some time Friday morning sanding the stain off the drawer faces. The stain was a little spotty and I was hoping that sanding it off and re-applying stain would eliminate some of this – and it did, but I discovered something surprising. After six days of drying time, …