All posts filed under: Dining room crown molding

My custom crown molding project is finished!

I just walked into our home office to sit down at the computer; straight from the dining room where I have been renovating the ceiling there. A project that began on February 18, 2011 and even though the paint is still wet, I’m calling this one finished! Why do I have to tackle such large projects? At least they are large for me, a weekend woodworker. I have not worked on my dining room ceiling continuously since early 2011. It came to a stop for six months while I built a queen size bed. I also launched two woodworking plans (here and here) during that time and I did some extensive writing on SketchUp. But it has been a long project none the less. Even though other things derailed my ceiling reno, it was always going to be a slow-moving project; ceiling work is simply no fun. I think most projects which involve the frequent use of a ladder should be automatically categorized as no fun. Even though I did get a little enjoyment from …

Caulk – the DIY friend

Time for a quick update concerning my crown molding project which really has been a total renovation of my dining room ceiling. I have a ton of non-woodworking things going on right now, but completing this project remains high on my to-do list. This past weekend, I was able to get a coat of primer on the crown molding which serves not only as a base for the finish coat of paint, but primer also magnifies imperfections. See below… Click the image to enlarge it and you will note the arrows in red. These point out areas which need to be caulked. I have mostly tiny gaps here and there around the room which need to be filled. The miters in the corners of the room meet up pretty well, but the one shown above was the most challenging. I also am finishing caulking the beams. In the photo above, the black arrows indicate where caulk has been applied – I have just a little more caulking to do on the beams. Also, you will …

Crown molding: Construction completed

I should have a smile on my face because I am adding the last row of trim to my crown molding project. The end is in sight! I started this project almost a year ago, then about half way through, I put it aside to begin work on the Tornado Bed. It seems like so long ago (and it was). I am excited to have this project almost completed. Over the last couple of weeks, I have been adding the last rows of molding – one row had to be made from scratch, and one which ended up being stock molding was something I could simply buy. Two weeks ago, I began the process of milling the fourth row molding. The process is similar to what I wrote here. I cut the molding outdoors because the combination of my router and MDF means a lot of dust. About to commence routing. The MDF boards are rough cut to size. I form a round over along each side. Even though doing this outdoors is mostly a …