All posts filed under: Note to self

Tornado Bed: a slight change in plans

The next step. I need to cut the slots for the panels and stub tenons on the stiles. In my last post on the Tornado Bed, I had completed the basic structure of the headboard. The next step in the process was to form the parts needed to complete the panel assembly. While doing this, I decided to make a change that caused about a week delay in my progress. I have re-created the scenario leading up to the change below: The slots. I use a scrap to form a 1/4″ deep slot. I nibble away material at my table saw. An uneasy feeling sets in. I repeatedly take the scrap and fit it to the panel until the slot is snug. As I handle the panel, I realize I can’t stand the sight of it’s grain. If I am going to move forward as a craftsman, I am going to have to learn to be more patient. I originally selected 1 x 8 material for these panels. This meant I could glue up two …

Tornado Bed: making the footboard

Room to work. The recent relocation of my planer and drill press gives me the needed room to work on the footboard. I like cars. As I write this, the TV show Rides is on and I am watching Chip Foose build a one-of-a-kind car called Impression. This car is a piece of art and the show had me glued to the TV. What impressed me most is that not only is the car a piece of art, but each individual component is too. This show has motivated me to look differently at my woodworking projects. I want to move more towards looking at my work in this way, as art. But, I need to master some hand tool skills before I get to that level. Something to work towards. Getting to the next level means I’ll have to come to grips with the lumber I use. A thought I have is this: can a woodworker make a respectable project from lumber found at Lowes or Home Depot? I tend to favor these suppliers mostly …

Note to Self #8

In process. I tend to glue things up in stages. I had a short lived melt down last night. The case glue-up of the TV console project encompasses seven components. Norm Abram would have glued all of these parts together at one time, but I have learned to baby-step a glue-up like this. At the next to the last step, things got a little frustrating… Step #3. In step 1, I glued the bottom shelf to the right side. Step 2 included gluing the lower divider and middle shelf to the right side. With step three, shown in blue, I glue the upper divider and what I call the sub-top to the right side. A problem. As frustration set in, I did not have the clarity of mind to grab my camera and record this problem. But, you can get the gist of the situation with this SketchUp drawing. As I positioned the slightly warped sub-top in place, it didn’t line up with the side (illustration above). While tugging on this board, hoping the warped …