All posts filed under: Pre-stain conditioner

Tornado Bed: big, big progress

My attempt at 3D blogging. With this post, the headboard continues to take shape. Click to enlarge and note how the panels and tenons fit into slots in the cross members. After a slight set back, I have made big progress on the headboard. With my first panels relegated to the scrap pile and the replacement panels formed and sanded, I am back to work on the panel system for the headboard (see an exploded drawing by clicking here). I had already cut the needed slot in all of the cross members as well as the stiles, but I had not cut any tenons, so that is where I start this post; it is a long one, so pack a lunch… Stubs. Technically, these short tenons are called stubs tenons. I set the table saw up for these cuts using a scrap. These tenons are 1/4″ long and are formed quickly. A nice fit. The left and right stiles slip into pockets in the posts. Luckily, the fit is just about perfect. Snug stubs. The …

Coffee table: a change in plans

Uneven stain. The red arrows point to a very undesirable look in a prized piece of tiger maple. For my coffee table project, I had planned to stain the tiger maple a light brown and the rest of the project a very dark brown. My plans changed when I tested stain colors on the tiger maple. The tiger maple looked horrible with the light brown stain. Maple can be a challenge to stain. I had tested an “antique maple” dye which turned out to be a strange color of yellow. So, instead of continuing to be frustrated with my first try at a aniline dye, I opted for the tried and true Minwax stain I have used for years. I first used a pre-conditioner to help even out the stain, and as you can see the stain was still very blotchy (red arrows above). So, instead of staining the maple, I have decided to go with no stain on the tiger maple which means it will be a very light color and a medium brown …