All posts filed under: Re-run Scott Bookcase

Re-run Scott Bookcase: Another Project is Completed

I am re-running a blog series from 2010 – the construction of a large bookcase for a co-worker. In this entry, originally published April 18, 2010, the completed bookcase is moved and set-up in its new home. The big day for the Scott bookcase arrived – moving day. This bookcase has been a fun three-month project. This was my first project where I utilized SketchUp during the design process and this project helped me refine the process for building case pieces. Building this bookcase has also shown me where I need to make improvements; one of which is how I apply finish to large painted pieces. One of these days, I’ll have a knock down spray booth for my shop. This is a goal because adding primer and paint by brush is a lot of work. It is funny though, a premium paint job completed by a professional painter will often include a final brush on coat of paint so the finish will have a hand applied look to it. I have found through this …

Re-run Scott Bookcase: Adding the Crown Molding

I am re-running a blog series from 2010 – the construction of a large bookcase for a co-worker. In this entry, originally published March 27, 2010, I am adding crown molding to the upper section of the bookcase. I agonize over certain steps of my projects. Most of the Scott bookcase is pretty straight forward woodworking; cutting dados, routing a few profiles for molding, yadda, yadda, yadda. But, when it comes to crown molding, I get a little stressed. It is not unusual for me to get big-time stressed during the actual attaching of the crown. I mean, the crown molding has to be cut exactly for it to fit properly. Adding to the complexity of crown molding is a wonderful (I am kidding) new idea of attaching it to the bookcase. See the illustration above and note how the edge of the top fits the angle of the crown molding. I thought this would be a good way to attach the crown and finish off the top. The problem is that just like the …

Re-run Scott Bookcase: Adding the Waist Moldings

I have made some big progress in the last few days on the bookcase project. While I had the parts for the face frame cut last weekend, I did not start to assemble them until Wednesday. By Friday, I had the face frame assembled, attached and trimmed. Then it was on to some sanding and applying the moldings to the simulated side panels. Most recently, I was able to fabricate and apply the waist molding and size the three shelves of the upper bookcase… The waist molding is made from both a custom milled piece and stock stop molding. Here I am routing a cove on a three inch wide piece of poplar. My new workbench is perfect for this. The custom milled piece of poplar had warped since I brought it home. So, here I have attached it with screws that will be hidden. I use three from the front and two from the back of the face frame to pull it straight. Here is a shot of the two piece waist molding. The …