All posts filed under: Re-run Scott Bookcase

Re-Run Scott Bookcase: Work Begins on the Top Section

I am making some slow progress on my latest project, the new tool cabinet and wall surround. I hope to have a post about the framing which is underway by Sunday evening. In the meantime, here is the re-run of the next step in a project I built in early 2010; a large bookcase for a co-worker. Building the top section of the bookcase is in many ways just like building the bottom section. Both start out as a basic box and that is the subject of this post. After cutting the left and right sides to final length and width, I cut dados in the sides for the upper and lower cross members. And just as with the lower section, I then use a template to locate and space my plunge router to help cut the holes for the shelf pins. With the cross pieces cut to size, the glue-up begins. In the photo above, only the joint in the lower right of the picture has been glued. I will glue the joint at …

Re-Run Scott Bookcase: Lower Bookcase is Completed

I am re-running a blog series from 2010 – the construction of a large bookcase for a co-worker. In this entry originally published February 21, 2010, I finish building the lower section of the bookcase. After taking a couple of days off from woodworking, I have been back at it. I am glad to report that during the later part of last week, I was able to complete the baseboard molding. Then yesterday and today, I moved on to the top of the lower bookcase. This included fabricating the molding that runs along the underside of the top and putting an edge detail on the top itself. Here is how it went… I planned to use plywood to build up the base moldings, but I have been wondering just how much of the plywood edge would be visible. In general, the ends of plywood should be covered with at least a slender strip of solid wood. This hides the various plys found in plywood which is considered unsightly. Except for a tiny part of the …

Re-Run Scott Bookcase: the Lower Face Frame

I am re-running a blog series from 2010 – the construction of a large bookcase for a co-worker. In this entry originally published February 14, 2010, I finish building the lower case face frame. I have reached a small milestone with this project which is the completion of the face frame for the lower bookcase. It at this point that we start to see what this project is going to look like. Pack a lunch, this is a long post. Yesterday was another long stretch in the workshop. It started out with a trip to the Home Depot to purchase two six foot pipe clamps. I have been resisting the urge to purchase longer clamps, but I had a slight problem pop up that required one to fix it. The latest edition of Fine Woodworking’s Tools and Shops special issue has a review of parallel bar clamps, so I took a quick look at their recommendations. I went to Woodcraft on-line to see what they had (example here). I saw few options for six foot …