All posts filed under: The Tornado Bed

Tornado Bed: Delivery Day

As delivery day for the Tornado Bed grew closer, I often wondered what delivery day would be like. I had never attempted a project like this: build a bed, search out a needy recipient and deliver it. I really did not know what to expect. But I did have a vision in my mind how it hopefully would unfold. I pictured a husband and wife gushing with joy that this bed was now theirs. Their two daughters would be all smiles. The family would comment on how sturdy the bed was, the nice overall design, and the warm color of the wood. Something like that. That isn’t what happened. Remember this bed went to the victims of a horrific situation. The roof of their home had been ripped off by high winds and they lost everything. Their home was damaged to the point that it was no longer a home. It was a wreck, unusable and ruined. When my father and I arrived with the bed, I began to better understand this family’s situation. I …

About those finials

While building the Tornado Bed, a few people asked about the finial design. I had seen this design used in a bed more than 25 years ago and had always liked it. I also had planned to write about it in an earlier post, but forgot to do so; something I’d like to correct now. The original design is by woodworker and furniture designer Peter Kramer (no relation to Cosmo). Back in the 1980s when country decorating was sadly so popular, Country Home magazine did a write-up about Peter Kramer’s unique home as well as an additional article about his design style for furniture. I count him as a key person in my development as a woodworker. I still have that magazine and thumb through its pages from time to time to get my creative juices flowing. Peter’s finial design was part of a head board that featured some slight carving and a painted detail. See the photo below (click the photos to enlarge)… Since making this bed, I have had some time to look …

Tornado Bed: Another project completed

Finally! I have finished work on the Tornado Bed. Like all of my projects, it seems, this one which began in May took much longer than expected to complete, but I am happy that it is finished and I can move on to my next project. And while it went together very well, I did face one final challenge which had to do with applying the finish to the foot board. A challenge As a project develops, challenges will appear along the way and I had two significant ones with the Tornado Bed, both of which had to do with applying the color. First, I had the issue with poorly stained finials as reported in a previous blog post. The fix for that was to make a new batch of finials and apply five coats of Charles Neil’s Pre-Color Conditioner prior to stain (click the photos for a larger view). In the second photo, you can see a much more even color, but the color is still not perfect. This is partly due to the …