All posts filed under: The Tornado Bed

Making finials for the Tornado Bed

One design change I made after drawing the SkecthUp illustration of the Tornado Bed was to add a little base to the finial. If this base did not exist, then the finial would sit on top of visible end grain, which I decided wouldn’t be proper. Making the bases was pretty straight forward: four pieces of wood cut into small triangles. Sort of a challenge to make them all square (some of them are slightly out of square, but they’re close enough). See below… I once visited Tommy MacDonald’s website. I was viewing a video about the construction of his very impressive bombe secretary. Tommy was cutting a delicate piece of molding and he commented that it took something like 15 attempts before he got one that fit just right. I remembered that when it came time to form the finials for my bed project. I move my fence to the left side of the blade and repeatedly cut away 2 3/4″ blocks which will become the finials. Here is where the Tommy Mac video …

Tornado Bed: the hardware, part 2

After some slow progress on the Tornado Bed, things have advanced extra quickly this week. It seems that all the time I devoted to making a precision jig for the hardware mortises paid off, because I basically used that same jig for the head board and foot board posts with just a minor adjustment. There were moments of anxiety while sinking my router bit into the side rails (previous post). Not this time; I powered up my router with more confidence and got after the mortises in the bed’s posts. The process used above has the collar in the base of my router riding along the inside of the template. The router bit then cuts the needed mortise for the hardware. I get a uniform cut around the perimeter and a consistent depth of cut. In the photo above, note the two openings in the hardware. I use chisels to mark the location of these openings to help with the next step. I then clamp a straight edge to the foot board and use my …

Tornado Bed: the hardware, part 1

You know, sometimes things just take a while, especially when you need to do something important and getting it right the first time is critical. Such was the case with the Tornado Bed over the past two weeks. I am specifically talking about cutting the mortises on each end of the side rails. I had just spent about $100.00 on material for the rails so making a mistake at this point would be a bodacious set back. And, I had not made this kind of cut in end grain in ages. Therefore, I decided to take my time with this process and as a result, two weeks have slipped by since my last update (I also had many non-woodworking events which kept me out of the shop). I contemplated the best way to cut the mortises in the rail end grain. It would be great if I could simply pick up an extra sharp chisel and quickly knock out the needed mortises. But I am not that good with a chisel. So, I decided to …