All posts filed under: The TV Console

TV Console: A Post Project Review

It has been a week since I delivered the TV Console project. I have had some time to reflect on the whole process of design and construction and I thought I would write about what went well along with some lessons learned. Overall, this was an enjoyable project, a little rushed at the end, but successful. Accomplishments First, I really like how the design turned out: traditional despite its modern use as a home for audio/video equipment. It has been a while since I constructed bracket feet and I have never added a decorative edge to dividers – both went very well. The wood color is fantastic; mahogany is beautiful and easy to work with. The source, Bell Forest Products delivered my material promptly and damage free. Two of the boards were about 15 inches wide and many had some cool grain. Most of the mahogany warped after delivery but I believe this was a result of the environment of my shop. I’ll order from Bell again. The dado joinery of the case made pulling …

Wipe-on polyurethane completes the TV Console project

I am officially calling this project finished. I just took some final photos of the TV Console in the shop. I’ll take a few more when it is delivered later today and I’ll put up a post later in the week showing it with all the A/V equipment loaded. It has been a long time since I have worked this hard on a project. It was not unusual to spend three hours a day in the shop. That is a lot considering work and personal commitments. But, I got a lot accomplished and I also got an extension on the delivery date which helped take some pressure off, but I still had to work hard even with the extra days. In my last post, I had cut and installed the top and the back boards. This week, I focused on sanding the back boards and adding plugs to the screw holes, cutting and attaching the moldings, completing final sanding and applying the finish, whew – a lot of work. Here is how it went… The …

Making the back and the top – TV Console project

Getting down to the wire. Delivery date is coming up and I am doing all I can to make it. I have the top and the back in place, but there is a lot left to do. The target date for delivery of the TV Console project is this THURSDAY!!! I am not sure I will have it ready in time. I am getting in as much shop time as I physically can right now. I used the word “physically” for a reason. Yesterday, I got in about three hours of shop time and had to stop because my back was really starting to object. I can see a doctor visit coming up soon. After attaching the base to the case, I was able to concentrate on the top and back of my project. As is usual on my blog, here is the photo play-by-play… Final width. This is a little stressful because when determining the final width of the top, I have to allow extra length for the moldings. Despite the fact that I …