All posts filed under: The TV Console

Shelf dividers – TV Console project

The next step… Next, I need to fabricate these shelf dividers (shown in blue) and create the dados and tenons for the joinery. In our last episode of the TV Console project, I had the case of the project dry fitted. As I thought about the next steps in the project, I realized a lot had to happen before I could actually get the case glued up: I had to take my 7/8″ thick stock down to 1/2″ thick. I had to cut the decorative profile in the edge of both dividers. I had to cut tenons on the upper and lower edge of each divider. I had to cut a corresponding dado in the case cross pieces. This past week has been all about time management. Several days this week, I wasn’t able to get in any shop time. The culprit was mainly work related stuff that eliminated both early morning and after dinner woodworking. But I was able to get some of the steps on my to do list completed Tuesday, Thursday and …

SketchUp design changes – TV Console project

Better. With this updated design, I have worked out a few design issues. I’m back baby! After taking a very short break from some shop frustrations (see my last post), I got focused on what I needed to accomplish to move the TV console project forward. And I am glad to report that I am back on track. But, before I get to the actual woodworking, I thought I would show how the design of this project has matured. With the initial design of the TV console project completed, I felt a little uneasy about it. The first thing I was concerned with was the height of the original design. While the balance of the SketchUp illustration was pretty good, I suspected that this project would come off almost like a piece of toy furniture. At 19 3/4 inches, the initial design was was less than two feet tall. So I drew it full size on a piece of MDF and enlarged the design going with a size that simply felt better. First some perspective …

TV Console: problems, problems

All is quiet in the shop. I have run into a series of problems with my current project and I am taking a break. I vowed to be brutally honest on this blog. With each project I offer a critique; you know, what went well and what didn’t. I started a series of posts called “Note to Self” where I offer a lesson learned. And with this post, I am going to open up about the problems which have already surfaced as I tackle the TV Console project. This weekend has been a humbling time in the workshop. I have quickly learned that when it comes to processing lumber like my African mahogany, I am woefully unprepared: I don’t have a jointer that can put a straight edge on long boards. I made a jig for my tablesaw that has helped, but I need a jointer with a longer bed. I don’t have a thickness planer. The mahogany has subtle variations in it’s thickness and some of the boards are warped. A thickness planer could …