I used to bookmark the cool things I have seen on the web. I then decided to create an organized page of all these links. So, this is my personal database of web links related to hand tool woodworking. Revised 2/9/17.
Online Schools for Hand Tool Woodworking
Here are some links to online hand tool schools. I know only a little about them, but these would be the top two I would consider enrolling in.
THE MAIN HAND TOOLS
First, a good overview of hand planes and a great photo showing the numbering system for basic hand planes (click here).
Here are a few good videos on how to either set up a brand new, high quality hand plane or how to set up a used plane that has seen a lot of wear…
- This is a good video by Chris Schwarz where he goes over setting up a premium hand plane – see it here.
- This video by Tommy MacDonald shows how to set up an older, used hand plane – see it here.
The essential hand planes by Phil Lowe – see the three starter hand planes Phil recommends here.
Chris Schwarz wrote on the Popular Woodworking blog an article which defines the various parts of a bench plane. This is good information to have when you hear or read about a lateral adjusting lever, for example, and don’t have a clue what that is. See the article here.
Billy’s Little Bench on hollows and rounds – go here.
Hand Plane Techniques
Tips on using hand planes well for specific tasks
- Tips for planing difficult grain by Phil Lowe.
- Tips for proper hand placement on wooden body planes by Isaac Fisher.
- Thicknessing Stock by Hand – Brian Eve at Toolerable takes us through this process.
- The Best Ways to Hold Down Your Work – Garrett Hack in a short video showing his favorite ways to secure stock while planing.
Matt Kenny wrote a brief blog post about the four must-have hand saws. See it here.
I once read where Tom Fidgen spends an hour in the workshop every so often just sharpening things. There is a whole separate art to getting your hand tools sharp, but the process does not have to be intimidating (but it still is for me). Here are some sharpening tips I have found.
Sharpening Plane Blades
- Oil stones or water stones? Chris Schwarz discusses oil stones and sharpening in this blog post. After careful review of Dan’s Whetstones, I chose the 8″ x 2 1/2″ x 1″ combo bench stone. I then ordered the Lee Valley Veritas Sharpening System. Realizing that I am at best a weekend woodworker, I felt this was a reasonable start to my sharpening set-up.
- Also by Phil Lowe – see the proper camber for various hand plane blades here.
- Sharpening Angles for Dullards – Chris Schwarz.
- Close Grain: Portable Sharpening Station – I want to make something like this for my shop.
- Paul Sellers: Sharpening to 250 Grit – a video where Paul makes the case that sharpening up through extremely high grits may be overkill.
- Konrad Sauer writes about his sharpening regimen here.
- Steve Schafer at Lost Art Press blog; talks briefly about stropping here.
- Brian Boggs Demonstrates Free Hand Blade Sharpening
- Morton uses the Veritas MKII honing guide to sharpen a plane blade here.
- Sharpening a #80 cabinet scraper by Bill Schenher.
- Rob Porcaro’s sharpening set-up – click here.
- Paul Sellers: Preparing and Sharpening a Woodworking Chisel
- How I Sharpen by Steve Schuler.
Sharpening a Card Scraper
- One of many sharpening techniques for the card scraper; this one from Lost Art Press – see it here.
- Mike Peckovich shows his technique for sharpening a card scraper in a video – see it here.
- When I get around to trying hand cut dovetails, I am going to buy one of the marking gauges from Veritas.
- Learn a dirt simple trick that ensures accurately scribed layout lines for dovetail joinery – click here (Fine Woodworking.com).
Making a Mortise and Tenon Joint
- Paul Sellers has a video showing how to chop a mortise – see it here.
- Jeff Gorman writes about ways to chop a mortise and cut tenons here.
VARIOUS OTHER THINGS
Using a LN Router Plane – Morton shows us how to use Lie Nielsen router planes in this Highland Woodworking video.
Universal Bench Fixture – by Jim Tolpin, shows photos of his bench fixture useful for a variety of hand tool processes including dovetailing.
10 Great Handtool Tips – some good stuff here on a variety of hand tool uses.
Clark Kellogg discussed fitting drawers with hand planes – see his blog post here.
Stock Prep by Hand – A very good Popular Woodworking video in which Chris Schwarz preps a board with hand planes; 20 minutes in length.
Other stuff will be added as I see it.